Thursday 8 April 2010

New strongest beer in the world

Gosh, how exciting. Not.

The latest issue of Brewer and Distiller International reports that Dutch brewer Het Koelschip has produced a beer at 45% ABV. As the brewery is also a distillery you can't help but be suspicious that this 'beer' is made at least in part by distillation. Unlike of course the record breaking efforts of Brewdog and Schorschbräu which weren't distilled at all. Oh no, they were freeze distilled. 

It's things like this that remind me why blockbuster beers don't float my boat. When Brewdog claimed the world record for beer strength before Christmas with the 32% ABV Tactical Nuclear Penguin the price was £35 for a third of a litre. When that record was beaten shortly afterwards by Schorschbräu with a 40% ABV beer they responded with the tastefully named Sink The Bismark at 41% ABV at £40 for a small bottle. Now that record's been broken and I see no reason why it should stop there... By the time someone gets round to boiling some hops in pure ethanol the price will no doubt be a small fortune.

Buying these 'beers' looks like a mugs game to me. Rather than spend my hard earned dosh on small amounts of spirit like beer I prefer to spend it on large amounts of actual beer. 


2 comments:

  1. Mugs’ game is the right word for it, I am so over this strong man approach to brewing — quite happy with Utopias (foodie etc) but when it gets to two fellas in an urinal comparing their coxcombs then I’m outta there.

    ReplyDelete