Saturday 6 November 2010

The best petrol station in the world?

As part of the boss's wide and varied expansion plans I went to look at a brewery for sale in Oxfordshire yesterday.

It was on a small industrial estate behind a petrol station. Nothing particularly out of the ordinary there. But going in to the Londis shop attached to the petrol station was an almost surreal experience. Whilst look for the toilet I saw a bottle of the ultra-premium Champagne beer Deus on the shelf. After doing a double take I looked closer and saw there were row upon row of exciting beers from the US, Belgium and Italy, as well as the UK. Despite my best efforts to control myself I was still like a kid in a sweet shop and I left with a clanking box full of beer tucked under my arm. 

Is the Jet Garage on the A338 at Grove, Wantage the best petrol station in the world?

5 comments:

  1. Brutal find Ed. That rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. When I read this, all I could think of was Michael in Alan Partridge, running an awesome Beer Shop/Petrol station, discussing 'Lexii' with Alan whilst quaffing an Alaskan Smoked Porter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had a reason to go to Wantage before but next time in heading down the A34 I might just take the scenic detour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've found that the Londis in Tenby, south wales, often has a surprisingly good choice of beers. Strange chain Londis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really was amazing, and it's interesting to hear about Tenby too. I'll have to keep my eye out for Londis shops from now on.

    ReplyDelete