Tuesday 23 November 2010

Champion Keg Beer of Britain?

I got an email today with details of the SIBA National Brewery-Conditioned Draught (Keg) Beer Competition.

It's going to be at The Canalhouse 48-52 Canal Street, Nottingham NG1 7EH on Thursday 10 February 2011. A beer festival will follow over the weekend.

After some recent discussions it will be interesting to see how many breweries enter. 

I can't recall ever seeing a quality (or proper real or craft or local however you want to put it) keg beer in a pub in Britain, though I was pleased to see Fuller's ESB on keg when I was in the States. And I must have been in pubs that serve it, but when I'm in a pub I only have eyes for the handpumps. 




2 comments:

  1. Well, it's possible to find Pedigree, Old Speckled Hen and Bombardier on keg, which might not be at the cutting edge of craft beer innovation but in cask form would not disgrace a GBG pub. Not to mention Sam Smith's Old Brewery Bitter.

    Most independent brewers have now gone over to smooth, so their keg bitter isn't necessarily a direct equivalent of their cask bitter, as once was the case for those that produced both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unlike the simple but not entirely satisfactory real ale definition I'm not sure where the quality (or adjective of your choice) keg line is drawn. Answers on a postcard please!

    ReplyDelete