What with malt quality being poor this year it was time to optimise my copper finings.
I used proper protafloc of course, none of that false protafloc nonsense.
- One tablet was dissolved in one litre of boiled water.
- Different doses of this were added to 250ml aliquots of boiled wort (1ml = 10ppm, 15ppm = 1 tablet per barrel).
- After a swirl and 10 mins to settle the appearance was recorded and 100ml of clear hot wort decanted into fresh bottles and clarity assessed.
- The bottles were then cooled for 20mins and left to settle overnight.
- Finally the cold break volume and wort clarity was recorded.
As you can see I'm making do with water bottles due to a lack of laboratory equipment, and perhaps a protocol amendment is in order to take account of this. But having said that the test worked and the result was around what I expected.