Sunday 19 August 2012

The power of beer bloggers

Serious beer writers, like Melissa Cole and Mark Dredge, seem against the use of the word "malty" when describing beer. Though my own poor attempts at tasting notes rarely go beyond "nice" I've not been entirely convinced.

The fact that tea, which unlike beer has no connection to malt, was called malty by Twinings seemed to back up my feeling that malty does have its uses:



But no more. Malty has been banished and their tea is now "mighty", which if you ask me really is meaningless.



It seems the influence of beer bloggers has spread to the marketing department at Twinings.

3 comments:

  1. I've no problem with the word "malty". I guess that means I'm not a serious beer writer . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve never had a British beer that I would describe as malty. Sweet, caramelly, toffeeish, certainly, but that's not malty. The only ones I've had that really tasted of malt were German.

    Certain Assam teas do indeed taste slightly malty. I suppose Twinings took it off the packet because the average person nowadays has no idea what malt tastes like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Malty" works for me, but as I said I'm not very good at this flavour description thing.

    ReplyDelete