Thursday 11 October 2012

Old dogs, new tricks

When wandering around Morrisons I was surprised to see a couple of Newcastle Brown brand extensions on the shelves.

I must admit I'm not a fan of Newky Brown, it does somehow seem to cause bad hangovers and after a particularly painful morning I even started believing the stories about a special hospital ward in the North East for Newky Brown drinkers.

But dedicated researcher that I am I bought a bottle of "Newcastle Nocurnal" and "Newcastle Winter IPA".

Both beers were brown and both tasted like Newcastle Brown. The Nocturnal seemed milder in taste, more like "Newky Brown lite" which I really can't recommend. The Winter IPA was hoppier than the parent brand, and did taste better than the original. But having said that unless I'm desperate I won't be buying either of these beers again. 

3 comments:

  1. I too saw these but left them behind as I've already reviewed their two other 'new' beers, from tesco, both really quite disappointing also like those you had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it's a good job I didn't spot more new versions or I'd have wasted more money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure these can be described as "brand extensions" - that's like saying, eg, Courage IRS is a brand extension of Directors.

    Some 10 or 15 years ago S&N was making a bottled beer called Newcastle Star, which was a companion beer to McEwans' Champion - strong, dark, bitter-sweet in the Burton Ale style. That was> a good beer - alas, it didsappeared.

    ReplyDelete